Tuesday, May 25, 2010


Catch, is the name. Violet tricked me with its neutrality. I had to bring it forward using a bit a red.

Today I discovered a tube of paint from who knows when. So old, it had separation anxiety. When it was purchased it was only 70 cents. Nowadays that tube is 8-15 dollars. the binder and pigment were separated. So it was really just a tube of gooey liquid plastic.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010


I thought these paintings were getting better and better. This one feels a little rough on the edges. Sometimes I just have to stop before I over work the painting. Maybe way later in the future I can tweek out the parts that I'll notice every time I glance over at it from the next paintings I start. This is another take on red. Leaning more toward oranges and yellows. Or another take on Yellow. Leaning more toward reds. however you see it. I've been taking "start the painting with this color" suggestions from Katelyn. That is usually the place I get stuck at it. The beginning. But, once I get rollin, its hard to stop. Kinda like when you learn how to ride a bike without training wheels.
Originally the central dark "hole" in the composition was not there. It was all red and orange like the rest of the "subject matter". It read too flat. So I made a drastic change and just visually cut a hole through it. Then just to be clever I pulled the brown background color through behind the orange/red/yellow. This really made the central vertical bright stop pop forward. To me it feels like a hot handle.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010


This new painting is an eye sore in the sense that my eyes really hurt from working on it. The green has a nice yellow vibrancy in the foreground. With that so starkly contrasted with the epic darkness in the central area of the composition an intense depth and imaginary visual space is created. This type of painting is really growing on me. It is really fun to paint non objectively and realistically AT THE SAME TIME!

in other news, last friday's art crawl was great. I sold some cheap art in my studio. Had to. It was collecting dust and monopolizing all the bunnies.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Revisiting the Illist.

I spent some time editing my this last painting. It just decided to not be finished. I spent a lot of time really trying to pull the right side of the composition forward and pop off of the picture plane. Its easy to push things back into the plane, but i've found pulling them up off of the plane is tricky. So it took alot of highlighting and then pushing the highlights back and pulling them back forward. on and on and on and on.