Tuesday, February 9, 2010


Here I have you some in progress pictures as well as the final state of the painting. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to starting the next one.
I started out by muting out all the edges and laying it some darker values. I started with burnt umber and then a layer of prussian blue over that. It creates a wonderful black. The next step was getting the surface some color or another. So lighter blues and darker greens figured out their place and the obvious contrast to that was the orange and yellows. I've noticed the something about the way i have been doing compositions. darker tones separated from warmer light tones by dancing line of highlights. Usually the flow of highlights stretches and falls across the composition in what i find to be a natural pattern.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love this. It it looks so layered as though its been touched on many different occasions. Love it.